PQE: 5-10 years
The Data Engineer will be the key interface in operationalising data and analytics and organizational outcomes. This role will require both creative and collaborative working with IT and the wider business. It will involve evangelising effective data management practices and promoting better understanding of data and analytics.
Data engineers need to guarantee compliance with data governance and data security requirements while creating, improving and operationalising these integrated and reusable data pipelines. This would enable faster data access, integrated data reuse and vastly improved time-to-solution for Clifford Chance data and analytics initiatives. The data engineer will be measured on their ability to integrate analytics and data science results with Clifford Chance business processes.
- Lead the task of curating datasets and data pipelines created by non-technical users and data scientists
- Identify potential and emerging technologies relevant to innovation in the Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence space
- Curate data sources and their input formats created by nontechnical users (e.g. through self-service data preparation tools), data scientists or IT resources and operationalizing data delivery for production level.
- Deploy analytics and data science into existing business processes and applications.
- Train existing IT resources on data literacy concepts
- Assist data scientists in integrating diverse datasets for data science and modelling
Skills & Experience
- 5-10+ years’ experience in data engineering and management disciplines including data integration, modelling and optimisation, and other areas directly related to data engineering responsibilities and tasks
- Previous experience of working in cross-functional teams and collaborating with business stakeholders is desirable
- The ideal candidate will have a combination of IT skills, data governance skills, analytics skills, database administration and software engineering experience
Written and Verbal Communications
- Highly developed written communication skills and capable of producing global and sensitive communications to a varied audience at all levels in both Practice Areas and Business Services.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communications skills – some form of customer-facing interaction or consulting experience is a plus
Analytical Thought and Problem Solving
- Makes decisions that solve the immediate problem and prevent it from occurring again.
- Prepares for potential problems and contingencies in case things go wrong.
- Takes prompt action to resolve problems quickly.
- Makes pragmatic and practical decisions about how centrally driven initiatives should be implemented locally.
- Uses all relevant sources of information, including the team and other colleagues, to generate solutions.
- Advisory role in the Architecture Community of Practices when it is related to big data and data science projects.
Communicating and Influencing
- Takes account of different needs and concerns in order to effectively communicate with others.
- Communicates effectively with the team through structured meetings and reviews.
- Resolves conflict and delivers feedback in an assertive and transparent way
Commitment and Self-Motivation
- Remains positive even if progress is slow and solutions are diluted.
- Is open to learning new skills.
- Demonstrates a drive towards continual personal growth and development.
- Learn about and champion best practices in code, architecture & processes.
- Contribute to the architecture and development direction of the team to ensure quality code is written and excellent products are built
Organising and Managing Resources
- Scopes and plans development work.
- Takes action to identify and raise any obstacles to achieving project aims.
- Identifies when to ask for help with technical aspects beyond current skillsets
- Monitors own performance against both project and day-to-day objectives.
- Offers solutions – technical and otherwise – for how to maximise their time and productivity
- Is a valued member of networks outside their immediate team
- Demonstrates credibility and influence with team members
- Initiates new relationships inside and outside the team
- Takes responsibility for growing the reputation of the team
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineer, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Information Technology or relevant field.